Sunday, August 10, 2008

A sixth sense?

It is so funny how things work out sometimes...

A couple years ago I went to a Rusty Barn Quilt, Craft, and Sew show. While there I was drawn to a quilt kit that included a panel of dogs and dog related fabrics from the Loralie dog line. Why? Who knows. Definitely not something I would usually buy but maybe it was a sixth sense. So it came home with me, I stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Now for the "how things work out" part. My son, who has 2 teenage children and said he would not have any more, surprised me with the news that a new baby was on the way - a boy! Well, of course I want to make a quilt for the baby. A quilt that is sweet enough for the baby, pleased mom and dad, and didn't involve so much piecing that you wanted to keep it as an heirloom. Just a nice drag-around-this-is-my- blankie kind of quilt. Since ds and ddil are big dog people the kit seemed to be just the thing. I pulled it out a week ago and decided to use just 9 blocks so he could easily drag it around.

Yesterday I sat down and worked up 6 of the 9 blocks. Here's a few of them. They are nice and simple and just so doggone (pardon the pun) cute for a boy. The blocks will be finished up today and perhaps the borders will be on by the end of the week.

DD and I found cute sleeper jammies with puppies and Hallmark had the cutest dog Christmas ornament. Now we're on the hunt for pacifiers, rattles, etc. with a dog motif and we will have a dog themed gift for our new little guy.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: