Monday, July 6, 2009

fabric collage - playing with something new

A few months back one of the ladies was kind enough to bring in some older Quilting Arts magazines to share. What unique ideas you find in them! In the Oct/Nov 2007 issue an article by Angie Hughes caught my attention. It was on making a textural book wrap. Decided to give the method a try and here is the result.

front:

back:


There is a cotton base made of woven strips and fibers then fused to Wonder Under, then stamped using Staz On ink. Next came a layer of organza and stitching. Should have gone in with a bit of a plan for the stitching and will the next time. Next the organza was burned back and I used water color crayons to give it some orange, green, turquoise highlights. On the back I used leftover chunks of fabrics and stamped it also.

It was different free-motion quilting on the organza. Not difficult, just different. Overall quite interesting and fun to do. I'm sure eyeing my scraps differently now.

Until next time have fun playing and try something new.


2 comments:

maria said...

I'm in love with this and I'm home!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

I love what you do with fabric - I am a bit stuck on paper (excuse the pun) and haven't ventured there yet, but you make it very appealing!